Well, I'm about to finish up my first week here in Peru, and believe me, I have not had a shortage of entertainment this week. Let's see...Day 2: My boss had picked me up, and we had gone to another team member's house. When she was bringing me back, we noticed a strange sound coming from the car. We pull over and realize the front tire has been slashed! It as completely flat, and as for the spare - flat as well! Needless to say, I got to know my new boss pretty well over those two hours that we spent on the side of the road! Day 4: This morning, I was excited about making toast. I put the toast in the toaster, and as soon as I turned around I smelled smoke. I turned back to see flames coming from the toaster! I dished the toast out, burnt to a crisp, as the inside of the toaster continued to produce flames. I managed to get the flames out pretty easily, but had to throw the toaster out! And the breakfast I was so looking forward to, didn't happen :( Day 4: So I went to bed , and was in a great sleep, when I was rudely awaken by a house alarm. These house alarms are very loud! Well, on night 2, one had gone off and waken me up, but it was from the neighbor behind. So at first, I ignored it, but then I figured, I better just check to see where it was coming from. So when I got up, I realized that the alarm was coming from my house, but downstairs (another apartment is downstairs, and nobody lives there!)! So you can imagine that I started freaking out a little bit! I had no idea what to do, so I just stood in the middle of my apartment, scared. Well eventually the alarm went off, and I heard a voice downstairs. Someone had come in to stay at the apartment for the week, and didn't know the alarm code. Talk about relief! So those are a few of my adventure!!!
Well, I'm living by myself in a really nice apartment, across the street from an incan burial ground. It's a really nice, safe part of town. There are several restaurants and grocery stores within ten minutes walking. It's the end of winter here in Peru, so it's kind of chilly. There is not sun here, only clouds. Hopefully some sun will come once summer is here. Yesterday, I saw the Pacific Ocean for the first time! It's nice! The ocean is only about 2 miles from my house! So that will be nice when summer gets here.
Oh, the Peruvians speak so different from Guatemalans. It's been very hard to understand their Spanish accent here, and peruvians talk very, very fast! Hopefully, i'll catch on soon..
Well, I am so glad to be here and finally get started with work. Yeeeaaa!
Hooray for Peru!!! GAs from Twin Rivers are praying for you Amber! We check your blog each week. Let us know how your ear is doing. We have been praying for it to get better.
ReplyDelete