Well, today is independence day here in Guatemala. And I must say, Guatemalans know how to do an independence day! Really the entire previous weekend has been dedicated to the holiday. Guatemalan flags everywhere, on the houses, in the parks, and of course on the camionetas. The festivities last night were so fun. Guatemala has a tradition where schools, or really any group will go to a central park, light a torch, and run in the streets carrying banners and of course, the torch. I have been working at a preschool a couple days a week, and the teacher had asked me if I wanted to run with the kids. Of course, I said yes! What a great experience. What I didn't realize until last night was that we were running from the central park in Antigua to the central park in San Juan. This run was about 4 miles! Well, I thought if these kids are going to do this, then I have to! So we did! It took us about an hour to make it to San Juan. We were led by a police truck, and along the way, cars honk their horns, cheering the kids on. People line the streets with bottles and buckets filled with water, soaking runners as they pass. And we were no exception. And being that I was a gringa (an endearing term given to white people here), there were several times, I heard a kid yell "Gringa!" and soon after, an entire bucket of water would splash over me. They loved it! And actually, the water was great - it was hot! Well, when I returned home, soaking wet, hot, and red, my host family got a big kick out of that! They laughed about it for quite a while!
Well, then this morning, I left for Antigua around 9, hoping to catch the end of a parade. I definitely got there in plenty of time to see the parade. It lasted for 4 hours! But it was so neat! Many bands from the schools, some all girls, some all boys, some all drums, played one after another. And the band players also dance a little while they are playing - it is so cute!
So I thoroughly enjoyed my first Independence Day in another country. I'm sure it will different in Peru - I look forward to experiencing that!
p.s. 17 days till my departure to Peru!
What an awesome experience! Cherish it forever! DAD
ReplyDelete