Wow! I can't believe I've been here for a month! Sometimes I feel like I've been here forever, but most days it feels like I just arrived! I am enjoying my Spanish classes very much. And my teacher is still super entertaining. He loves to make me sing songs during class as the other students look on wondering what on earth I am doing. At least there's never a dull moment with Felix!
Well, I've started working with a church plant in Alotenango on Saturdays. Katie and I go with two native Guatemalans. There are always like a hundred kids and their moms! It's hard work, but it is fun and that town needs all the help they can get – the people are very poor. And also that is the only church in the town. I always leave with my head spinning – between trying to understand all the Spanish and being pulled many different directions from tons of kids – it's quite the experience. But very worth it!
Also, this past Monday, I started volunteering at a daycare/preschool here in San Juan. I will be working just a couple afternoons a week with the kids...I'm glad it gives me something else to do in the afternoons. I enjoyed my first day...I played soccer and drew pictures for each of the kids.
Since I've been slacking on keeping up with my blogs, I feel like there is so much to say! Let's see, Katie got really sick and ended up in the hospital. But post surgery, she is feeling better! And I am happy to have her back here in San Juan with me! We have made a good friend here who goes to school with us – Lina. Lina is from Norway. Well, on Saturday, she and I went to Antigua for a fiesta. Bad news...she was robbed on the street. Someone cut her bag and took her wallet! She is fine now and got everything worked out, but Wow! So lesson learned – be very careful here! These people are professionals! I can't help but wander – am I due for bad luck now? We s hall see, but God is in control!!!
ok, last story for now. I've shared about the spiders in my room, and yes I continue to see them, and I am still just as scared of them now as when I arrived. But this past week, I discovered a bug issue...los ormigos! So one night last week, I was quietly doing my homework in my room when I noticed in one corner very large ants with wings...no big deal. Except for the fact that the number grew and grew and grew. Finally, I went and got my mom who sent her son, Vladimir and my dad, Felipe to deal with it. Now my room is tiny, so three people in the room was amusing to begin with...well, they sprayed the bugs to kill them, well it killed some, but made more mad. Because shortly there were hundreds of these bugs coming out of everywhere! They were falling in our hair, on my bed, in my books, in my bags, I mean they were everywhere! Just as soon as we would kill a ton, a ton more would appear. I would say this went on for 45 minutes/ an hour! I was laughing so hard...sure it was frustrating trying to rid of these things, but the whole experience was just so entertaining to me! We did finally manage to get most of the bugs to die, and I think we took out 5 dustpans full of dead ormigos. So, needless to say, there is never a dull moment for me!
No comments:
Post a Comment