Well, my first week in Guatemala is behind me! Wow, it already feels like I've been here much longer than one week! And I kind of still feel like I am in vacation mode...it hasn't really sunk in that I am here for three months! But I am loving it!
This week, I started my Spanish classes. I have one on one study with my teacher, Felix. I absolutely enjoy him as my teacher. He is quite the character. Yesterday, he had me skipping down the street with him, arms linked, singing a Spanish kids song...He always has something silly he wants me to do! But that definitely means no boring days!
One thing I love about being here, is I get so much sleep! The last bus comes back home at 7ish, so after that is dinner, then nothing! So inevitably, I am in bed by 9 every night! But I almost have to be! Life here starts about 5am! No sleeping in for these people! And when they up, there is no mercy for those still sleeping. Every morning, I am awakened by people setting off the bombas for no apparent reason, or the milk lady honking her horn up and down the street, or (my favorite) the gas truck continuously driving up and down the streets playing a loud recording – HONK, Zeta GAAAAAS!
Oh, it makes me laugh!
Well, Katie and I are still looking for ways to get involved with some local ministries here in San Juan or up the road in Antigua. We are actually starting today working with a small church outreach. They work with a new church plant assisting kids in a nearby town. So I'm excited to get started there. But since we only have class in the mornings, and we have every afternoon free, we would like to find some more places to volunteer in. We have some contacts for a couple orphanages and a malnutrition clinic, so hopefully this week, we will be able to get started at one or two of those. Also, both Katie and I are looking to try to start a ministry right here in San Juan. There is no type of Christian ministry or church here at all. So right now, we are praying about how to get started and how to start making some good relationships right here in our little town. I do ask for your prayers as we look to start sharing Christ here!
Oh read, Psalm 73 - I read it this morning and it´s a good one!
No comments:
Post a Comment