Thursday, October 14, 2010

Just another day

One of the things I do to help some teams as they come to work here in Peru, is purchase groceries. Some teams head out to the middle of nowhere, where there is no place to buy food. So yesterday, Mindy and I headed out to our local grocery store, Wong, to purchase food for a team of 15 that is coming this weekend. They will be heading to the jungle. It's a typical thing for us, pushing 2 or 3 buggies around loading them up with large amounts of food (and of course, people tend to stare when we fill one whole cart just with water!), but it never ceases to amaze us how awesome their customer service is! At checkout, we had 6 people helping us-6! 5 of those were baggers. Makes me wonder how we make it in the states with 1 little bagger boy helping customers out (that's the grocery store manager side of me speaking). We didn't have to lift a finger! They unloaded the groceries from the carts, bagged everything, pushed the carts out to the truck, and even got up inside the back of the truck to load the for us! Man, talk about a breeze! Mindy and I decided this is one thing we will miss in the states for sure. Not that we buy groceries for 15 people for a week, but just the fact that grocery store workers treat customers like royalty! hehe

Here are some pics of the after shopping phase:

We managed to fit most of the food in these 2 wooden boxes for the team to carry up the river.

The water we purchased (that made people stare) in the back of the truck. And this was only half of it!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Amber,

    I tried to leave a comment earlier, but I am not sure it left it. I don't know if you remember me, but my name is Lauren. I am a missionary at the orphanage that you came to in July I think. I know you said the summer would be super busy for you guys, so I was waiting to contact you until fall. Now, half of fall has already passed by. My teammate is gone for 2 1/2 weeks, and I thought it would be a good time to now to see if you would want to come out or maybe I could come out and meet you guys. My email is laurenr18@gmail.com and my number is 975328800. I would love to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete