So what are some of the cultural difference that I have grown accustomed to?
1. Time. Peruvians are not punctual. If you are planning to meet with a Peruvian, you can expect them to show up at least 30 minutes late, sometimes longer than that. Also, for example, outside of Lima, in the little villages, you can set your Bible studies to begin at 7pm. This time is set with the expectation that people won’t actually start arriving until 7:30 or 8. It’s no big deal….they are still considered “on time!”
2. Driving. The traffic here in Lima is insane! I’m aware that this is a city of 10 million (around that number anyway), but driving here is way more intense than anywhere in the states. Drivers turn right from any lane they wish, not just the right lane. When turning left, there is not just 1 lane that turns left; cars pull up next to each other waiting to turn, sometimes as many as 4 or 5 next to each other; then merge into the 1 lane road. If you need to pull over, but there is no room, just stick your hand out the window and wave to the driver next to you, and he will let you in front of him. Blinkers are not very effective, hand signals are! You kind of have to learn to just flow with traffic…if the car in front merges to the left, all other cars behind follow. Traffic just flows! The city is full of honking, but not in a bad way….it’s the drivers way of communicating to each other. I’m not gonna lie! It was terrifying when I first started driving, but I’m used to it now. I just gotta go with the flow!
3. Convenience. There’s not really such a thing. In the states, we have several aisles in the grocery stores of frozen foods. Our grocery store here has one small freezer, and the items in it are ridiculously expensive! So there’s not many quick meals. I have had to learn how to do actual cooking here, which is not really a bad thing! Another example, would be paying bills. All bills are slid under your front door. The bills come throughout different times of the month, so there’s no paying the all at once. Each bill has to be taken to a bank (and they can’t all be paid at the same bank!), you stand and line, then pay for the bill. This can be very time consuming.
4. Staring. There is no shame in staring here. It’s not considered rude. And everyone stares! I hate to admit that I’ve picked up this habit. That will be a hard one to break when I get back to the states!
5. Spanish. That’s a pretty obvious one. There are a few people that speak English, but all you really hear is Spanish. It can be difficult sometimes, but I love learning this language! Though, I will say, that since learning Spanish, I am getting worse at English! Many times, I cannot think of the right English word. Oh, and forget spelling….I can’t spell anymore!
Well, those are a few of the things that make Peru it’s own culture! I love it! I’m pretty sure when I get back to the states, it will be a huge adjustment getting back to the way of life there! Should be interesting!
No comments:
Post a Comment