Thursday, March 18, 2010

Paint, Wood, and a lot of kids!

This week I have had the privilege of working with a team here from Texas. They have been an amazing group! This team was brought in to work here in Lima by the Peruvian that I had been going to Pamplona with.
The first day they were here was Sunday. On Sunday, Parker (a journeyman), and I headed out with the group to Pamplona. We spent most of the day there. The ladies had prepared some Bible school type material for all the kids. The kids really enjoyed it. And the other held the church service that day. Several of the "gringos" gave their testimonies. They taught the church a couple methods on how to share the gospel with their neighbors. And their leader, Steven, shared how to share Romans 6:23 with their neighbors, which gave the gospel presentation at the same time. 3 men prayed to receive Christ at the end of that service! It was such a blessing to see! Praise God!
Then on Monday, the team started their work at a local orphanage. See, this church has some sort of partnership with the orphanage, trying to help and assist in whatever needs the children might have. Their goal for this trip: paint 4 rooms, building 8 bunk beds, build shelves in the kitchen, buy a hot water heater, give them a new washing machine, and help organize the house! yes, a lot! So Monday, they jumped right into their projects. Parker and I were there to help with whatever they needed - translating, painting, cleaning... That first day, the ladies did the same Bible school presentation for the kids, and Parker was elected to help translate for that. I was automatically drafted to be a painter...and I was quite ok with that! I enjoy stuff like that, so I jumped in eagerly. I left each day, covered in paint, so after 3 days of painting, my clothes are a variety of colors!
I have been working with that team every day this week, and today will be our last day at the orphanage. Most of the large projects are done, so today will just be touching up odds and ends. This team has been such a blessing! They came here eager to share God's love with the people of Pamplona and at this orphanage. I will say, they are one of the most organized teams I've worked with (have to brag on them a little bit!). What better way to spend my week than by spending my time painting, translating, and showing God's love to orphans!


First day painting!

Brenda helping Parker scrape the wall, pre-painting.

Jorge, Parker, and I after a long day of painting.

A few of the kids helping Parker sand the new bunk beds

Brenda, such a sweet girl!

Brecia with the orphanage's pet cat

No comments:

Post a Comment