Monday, December 28, 2009

More of the Amazon!

Well, I've been meaning to add more to my adventure in the Amazon. I must say, I really like the jungle. I wish I could have stayed longer!
Where to start? Well, we landed in the main town in the jungle, Iquitos. I really like it there. On the roads, cars were a minority. The most popular modes of transportation are motortaxis and motorbikes. It's a busy little town. We left from there up the Amazon river on a 7 hour boat ride. The wooden seats were uncomfortable, but it was a great experience. Got to see some cool things there on the Amazon. Let's see, we stayed in tents there in Vainilla. I had thought we were gonna be sleeping outside on the grass, but as it turned out, the village supplied us with their community building, so we set up tents in there (still needed a tent because of the mosquito and other insects infestation). So I slept on concrete for a week. The first night was a nightmare, but I feel like I got kinda used to it, and it wasn't so bad by the end of the week! I was glad to be inside, anyway, after those tarantulas we saw! We had an outhouse across the way as a bathroom. Everytime I went in there after dark, I thought of a little picture my grandma has in her house: "On a cold dark night, on a sleepy haze; be glad these aren't the good ole days!" I felt like I was in the good ole days! Going to the bathroom in an outhouse, where you had to pour water in the hole to flush. There was no electricity in the village, so the only light was by flashlight...Interesting experience! We bathed in the river. It was hot, so it was nice to get in and cool down. Only the little fish like to nip at your legs and feet...that was aggravating! But at least no one got bit by a piranha! One guy caught one in the same place we had been bathing! And if you can imagine, bathing in a dirty river doesn't exactly get you clean. I always left with a strange smell on me and my clothes.
The first full day we were there, we were "rented out" to church members. A 14 year old girl, Lalid, adopted me and Sandi (the other IMB missionary). We thought we were gonna be doing housework and such, but it turned out, she just wanted to hang out. She had us climbing up trees (and I mean way up in a tree!) for fruit, and gave a tour around the village. She also took us on a canoe ride to the other side of the river to see another little town. We went home that afternoon with bags full of fruit! She was such a sweet girl!
Which leads me to another little girl, who was not so sweet. This little girl, Teresa, actually acquired the nickname of devil child. I know that sounds harsh, but she was out of control! I think she especially had it out for me. She locked me in the outhouse (Sandi rescued me), tipped over our canoe while I had my camera in hand, and ate my shampoo, just to name a few things. She definitely added some interesting aspects to the trip!
What else? Oh, we killed and ate a toucan. It wasn't too bad, but not that great. The only other thing strange I ate was fish eggs cooked into the fish...that was disgusting!
Well, not sure what else to add, but I absolutely loved the jungle! I really hope to go back and spend more time there...just need to work on getting over my spider fears!

On the way to Vainilla

The pig loved the guava (that's a fruit- the stick looking thing!)

Just after the devil child had turned our canoe over!

The piranha Luis caught!

My little friend Lalid

No comments:

Post a Comment