Well everyday life in Quero is certainly different than anywhere I’ve ever lived! oh, the cold! Some days, the cold is so overwhelming that my body hurts for hours. Most days the sun will at least come out for a few hours, and in the sun, I can thaw out…it feels so good! But rainy season is still here, so some days the sun doesn’t come out at all, and the clouds are out all day. This makes it very hard to thaw out! I wear 5 layers and at least 2 pairs of socks everyday! That was a big change from leaving hot summer in Lima and coming to freezing Quero. And at night I sleep with 4 thick wool blankets on me. They are super heavy and hard to move under, but it keep me warm! I think I’m starting to get used to the cold…or at least tolerate it! hehe
It is kind of nice to have seen some rain and been in some thunderstorms! Lima is a desert, so none of that there. And I kind of miss it! But it rains every evening, so I am ready for the rainy season to pass and summer to come! Should be any day now!
Showers are more of a possibility than a rule. The first week I was here, I showered twice. They have recently put in hot water in the hostal, so it’s not the water that’s the problem, it’s the after part….wet hair in freezing weather! But the hot showers are really nice!
For food, we go to the next town over, which is a little bigger than here. They have an open air market day on Fridays (Fridays only!), and this market has everything we need! Fruits, vegetables, meat, clothes, etc. So we go on Fridays to the market and load up on what we will need for the week. I really enjoy shopping there….lots of activity and fun! I have posted a couple pics at the end of the post so you can get an idea of what the market looks like.
There is a small clinic here in the town that has an obstetrician, so I’m going to be seeing her each month for my baby check ups. It’s nice to have someone right here (which we didn’t expect) just in case!
Shopping at the open air market on Fridays
Pile of freshly chopped up sheep wool

Mijail about to enjoy a big bowl of lamb soup
cows, cows, cows everywhere
No comments:
Post a Comment