All that was neat, but the highlight of my trip was seeing my sponsord child, Carmen Rosa! A representative from World Vision picked me up early Wednesday morning. The project is about 1 hour from Cusco, but since a critical bridge had been washed out, we took the long way. That drive was heartbreaking. All along the side of the road, houses were crumbles. These people build their houses out of adobe, so when the river rose and flooded their houses, it just caused the houses to collapse. And farming is a huge source of living here, and crop after crop had been destroyed. The government had provided tents for the families to stay in, so we passed hundreds of tents filled with people who had lost everything. It truly was hearbreaking.
Well, after the drive, we arrived at the project, where I was given a tour, then introduced to my family! They are precious! It's a young Quechua family of 5. Mom and Dad, oldest boy, Ruben (6), Carmen Rosa (4), and baby Daisy (1). Only dad knows Spanish. The rest of the family speaks Quechua only, so most of my conversation was with Dad. I learned that they are potato farmers, but they had lost all their crops due to the abundance of rain. My heart went out to them, but they stay positive. One reason is because of their faith in God - they are Christians! In fact, Dad is the pastor of the church in his community. I visited with the family for about 2 hours, and took a ton of pictures! Before I left, they asked when I was coming back! And I am hoping to go for another visit. After all, I am here for over a year, so I hope desperately to return to see them!
Here are a few pics:
Me with Carmen's family. I'm a giant! And yes, theses are their regular, daily clothes!
Me with Carmen Rosa...she's so precious!
she liked making this face, better than smiling :)
group of tents where the homeless were living
some people working on cleaning up their house
a collapsed house
Cool, Baby Daisy must be on Mom's back. I see Carmen Rosa hugging close to the doll that you got her. She's precious.
ReplyDelete