Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Vacation 2

Semuc Champey!
So I'm just gonna warn you, be prepared to read a long one here...but you need to read till the end – this was an amazing adventure!
Well, I know it's been a while since I've taken a vacation...2 weeks is a long time! But this past weekend, I was able to go on another much awaited weekend getaway. This time Katie, Lina, a new friend from Sweden, Emma, and I joined 10 other people for a weekend away at the waterfalls and caves at Semuc Champey. We left Friday afternoon for the 7 hour journey (a little far for just the weekend, I know, but it was well worth it!). When we arrived around 10 that night at our hotel, I realized that our rooms were more like a tree house/hut. We had to climb up a ladder to reach our room (photos will be added!) and our hut was literally a hut...I mean thatched roof and all! I loved it! Now, I will say that considering I am deathly terrified of spiders, I was a little worried at first, but I prayed very hard to not have any issues, and what do you know, I survived! Actually I didn't see any spiders the whole weekend! Thank the Lord! Well continuing...So after a night in our cozy little hut, we left bright and early with our group for our day of hiking, repeling, caving, and tubing! After about 45 minutes of standing in the back of a pickup (this was our transportation through the mountainy, jungly, curvy roads), we made it to our destination. Our adventure began with the hike. Ok, I realized it has been too long since I have hiked, cause after just a few minutes of climbing straight up a muddy mountain, I was exhausted! But I made it, after 45 long minutes! Oh, but the view was worth it. From the top, you could see all the jade rivers and waterfalls. Gorgeous! And the hike down was just as exhausting...straight down a muddy mountain is not easy!
Well, then we headed to the waterfall. The water was amazing...the brightest green color, clean, and you could see everything under the water. As we approach the edge where the waterfall is and prepare the repel down, we realize the repelling is quite different than what one would expect in the states. There is a rope tied to a giant rock, and basically, you just let yourself down holding onto the rope with your hands and searching for a good steady spot to place each step. I'm not gonna lie – I was quite nervous! I was afraid I wouldn't have enough strength to hold onto the rope, well I made it, obviously. The worst part was at the end...I couldn't find a place to put my feet, and I couldn't see because I was in a waterfall – the water was continuously bombarding my face. But just when I started to panic, I felt someone grab my feet...our guide was there, ahhh relief! Here was a small cave, nothing major, but we were able to look out from behind the waterfall. The rushing rapids below were quite intimidating. Just when we were wondering how we were going to get back up, our guide led us to the edge of the waterfall, above the rushing waters. We weren't going back up just yet. The plan was to jump into the water below, swim as hard as you could to the left, and grab onto a tree that had fallen in the river. Really? I thought I was going to be pulled down the river to never be seen again, but as it turns out the plan worked! The rapids actually carried me right to the fallen tree, without much help from me at all. The hard part was holding onto the tree. Well, we finally made our way to the side of the river, which was a cliff, not a way out of the river. From here, we had to climb back up the waterfall using just a rope and arms muscles, searching for a steady place for feet (which was hard considering the rocks were of course soaking wet as a result of the waterfall). This was the most terrifying part yet! I can't even describe how hard the water comes at you, and how hard it is to pull yourself up, but everyone made it, with only minor scrapes and bruises. Oh and I was bruised and scraped up!
Well, we were able to take a short rest for lunch, and then it was on to the real caves. So in bathing suits and tennis shoes (that's a fashion statement there), and candle in hand, we started our trek through the caves. The candles were much needed, of course it was pitch black inside. There were parts of rushing water, where we had to hold onto the side so we didn't get swept away. There was times we had to climb straight up to get to the next part of the caves. There were sections barely big enough for me to fit through. And my favorite, there were times we had to swim, heavy tennis shoes, and of course, candle above water so we could see. I must say this was a lot of hard work, but wow, it was amazing! (So about spiders, I was a little nervous in the beginning we would see big spiders, cause in the mini cave, there had been one, which I did not see. But good news – I didn't see one! Could have been partly because, there was only candle light, but I like to think there were none.) But after 2 hours of hard work in the caves, we were able to enjoy some nice, relaxing time tubing down the river in the sun. Just the relaxation we all needed! So this ended our long, adventurous, tiring, but absolutely amazing day! And I must say, the bed in our tree house/ hut was amazing that night! I think every inch of my body was sore when I woke up the next day. I'm not complaining, it was worth it. Sunday, we had to head back home, but we made a couple stops along the way, including a habitat for the national bird – the quetzal. We took a nice hike up a mountain (this time was much more peaceful and tranquil) in search of the bird. But I'm sad to say, we didn't see one. But afterwards, our guide said in 2 ½ years, he had only seen the bird three times! They are good hiders apparently! But it was a pleasant end to a very active weekend. So though my legs, knees, hands, and elbows are covered in scrapes and bruises, this weekend was absolutely amazing. If you ever are in Guatemala, you must visit this place!
p.s. Told you this would be long – thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Wow Amber - what an adventure! Sounds scary but seems like it was a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete