After almost a year and a half of being out of the states, I finally had the opportunity to come home for a visit! It is so good to be home with my parents! In some ways, it seems as though I never left. Not much has changed around here. But in some ways, it seems like it's been forever! There are many things I have forgotten about, small differences. So here I want to share a few of the little day to day things that I have appreciated since I've been home.
1. Toilet paper...you can flush it down the toilet here in the states. You can't flush toilet paper in Peru. You deposit it in a trashcan. And that's become my habit. So it's been a little strange to force myself to flush it! (I know, a little gross, but you get used to it!)
2. Carpet...I don't think I've been in any building in Peru that has carpet. So when I first stepped on it in my house, it was a foreign feeling under my feet. I like it! Carpet is so soft to walk on with no shoes! hehe
3. Dishes...I don't have to wash them by hand! It has been so nice to just put dirty dishes in the dishwasher. I may get spoiled these next couple weeks, and not want to go back to hand washing all my dishes!
4. English...it's so nice to be albe to easily understand everyone, everywhere I go. But at the same time, it's weird to not hear Spanish...I kind of miss it! I have caught myself a few times answering in Spanish!
5. The sun...The first day I was here, I got out of bed and opened the curtains of the bedroom, and was shocked to see the clear, blue sky! I was so excited! Then the next day, the same thing happened! In Lima, if it's not summer, then sun is rarity. I forgot that it is normal here! and I love it!
6. Fall...the leaves are changing colors! You don't really see much change in the plants throughout the year in Lima. It pretty much always stays the same. The orange and red leaves are so nice to see! And with that, as the leaves fall off the trees, the leaves just collect in the streets. In Lima, there are people constantly sweeping the streets. You would never see the leaves just laying there...
7. Traffic...yea, traffic is super different here than in Peru. Actually, here driving is kind of boring. People stay in their lanes, and it's always so calm. I kind of miss the excitement of driving in Lima. Well, driving the little Corolla here is way different than that huge truck I was driving in Lima. A big truck is way more fun to drive! hehe
Well, those are just a few of the little differences that have kind of shocked me, being back here again.
The days here are going way too quickly! I want them to slow down!
This coming week, I will be spending Thanksgiving day with my Dad's family. I can't wait to see them, and of course eat an awesome Thanksgiving meal! Pies...mmmmm...
Glad to help with your driving skills. Glad to have you home for a few days. My only regret is that you wouldn't add Red Lobster to your list of five chosen restaurants to eat at when you were here. Subway, Chick-
ReplyDeleteFil-A, Rodeo, Cracker Barrel, and Olive Garden. But those were pretty good. -DAD